Re: [OM] Olympus Pen D: strange viewfinder

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Pen D: strange viewfinder
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:07:30 -0700
on 9/30/03 4:22 AM, Andrew L Wendelborn at andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This 60s half-frame is ancient I know, but I rather like the camera and I'm
> determined to put at least one roll of film through it.

Its great to use some of the old cameras... a whole different 'feel' to the
'artistic experience'. <That's all the fuzzy artspeak I'm putting in here...
<g>)

> It has a very nice quality feel to it, the F.Zuiko 33/1.9 lens is no
> slouch, and I like the manual metering system -- read the EV number off the
> meter on the top, set it on the ring below, then rotate the aperture /
> shutter rings together (keeping the EV value constant) to whatever
> combination you like. Not bad for a 60s compact easily held in the hand,
> and I can't resist giving it a try.

The Pen D was a high-line model when new, and probably sold for the
equivalent of $200 or more in now-cheaper dollars. The lens is very good,
although many don't like the coupled EV system, and a meter needle visible
in the viewfinder would have been nice...

> I have a problem the viewfinder though -- it gives a blurred image.
> But I can't see anything visibly wrong with it. It is of course not coupled
> to the focus control.

The viewfinder is a 'constantly sharp' type and doesn't show the focus...
but it should be sharp near to far as you look through it.

> Looking through the viewfinder of a (regrettably non-functional) Pen EES
> gives a crisp and bright image so it's not me!
>
> Interestingly when I look the through the D viewfinder with glasses off
> (I'm a bit shortsighted) the image is much less blurred -- close to usable
> in fact. But I'm sure that's not by design.

It should be sharp with your glasses, its designed for a person with
'normal' vision to see a sharp view. The finder is a relatively simple
assembly of lenses, sort of like a child's telescope except with a slight
negative magnification. It sounds to me like either a finder lens element is
out of place or missing. There is also a possibility that all the parts are
there but need a good cleaning. While not a complex task, you would need to
take the top off and dig in to do this, as well as to determine if all the
elements are present in the correct order... a task for a good repairperson.
Have them check out the shutter speeds at the same time, and you'll have a
great little classic camera for the future. Consider it an investment in the
next 40 years of functionality.

> I'm not too fussed about fixing this problem, but I'm curious to know what
> can go wrong in a viewfinder to make it behave like this.
>

> Has anyone had a similar problem?
>

> thanks
> Andrew

Of course, if you're not heart-set on keeping it, I'm always interested in
another Pen... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...