Re: [OM] 50/1.8 question

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.8 question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:54:27 -0700
on 9/30/03 12:43 PM, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Further distinctions/info:
>
> There are at least 2 variatoins within the SC F.Zuikos and the front
> ring went from silvernose to black while they were still SC F.Zuikos.
> The 'MC' marked lenses are better than the SCs, really good lenses
> optically, BUT, MANY of them suffer from slow/sticky diaphrams, so be
> careful with them. The last version, correctly described by Piers,
> 'miJ', not 'MIJ', goes back at least to serial number 3,500,000. I have
> had 4-5 in the 3.5-3.6 million range, only one has a slightly slow
> diaphram and construction, coatings look the same as over 5 million ser
> # samples.
>
> Moose

I'll comment on Moose's observation that many samples of the MC 50/1.8 have
sticky diaphrams (I can't spell that word, usually I say 'aperture'
instead!).  The mechanism is fairly easily accessable, with some disassembly
it can be 'flush cleaned' with lighter fluid or 99 0spropranol alcohol with
good results. I've resurrected a few of these just to use as functional body
caps, so I wouldn't toss one out because of a slow aperture mechanism...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...