Re: [OM] OM-2S prices

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S prices
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:43:37 -0500
At 06:15 PM 9/25/03, you wrote:
I was referring to cameras that are apparently in working good condition based on their auction descriptions...;-)

evilBay seems to have become more and more a dumping ground for thoroughly thrashed, garbage gear. There are exceptions, but it has caused me to wade very, very carefully through the listings and haven't bought anything from there in quite a while. Got some great buys there some number of years ago, but the noise-to-signal ratio gets steadily worse every month.

I have an OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-2S and OM-4. The OM-2S was procured from a very reputable used camera dealer that has a "right of return." I thoroughly inspected and quickly ran a couple rolls of film through it during the first 48 hours in my hands and determined it was a "keeper" in EX+ condition. It has been a real workhorse. Shutter timing is a bit different (the built-in delay) and I must remember that when timing is critical. Other than that, it's a basic aperture-priority AE with excellent metering. I use it as the primary body for shooting the candids at weddings with dedicated, high power Sunpak and Metz flash units . . . a task for which all the fancy metering modes in an OM-4[T] are entirely unnecessary. BTW, I've never had a problem with the [green] "flash ready" lamp eating batteries up. However, I replace them after two weddings.

Been giving strong consideration to eventually finding second one in similar condition so I can leave the current one in the bracket and load the second one with TMax P3200 for available light work. Right now, I use the OM-2n with Press 1600 if I can get away with it, but must switch things around if P3200 is needed (1600 is the highest ASA setting on the OM-2n).

-- John