Re: [OM] NEED HELP OF ZUIKO 40mm/F2 PANCAKE LENS OWNERS

Subject: Re: [OM] NEED HELP OF ZUIKO 40mm/F2 PANCAKE LENS OWNERS
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:33:31 -0500
Cc: oiwert@xxxxxxx
There shouldn't be any play in any of the workings.  It needs servicing.  If it
were me, I would only buy it with the discount of a full servicing price and
possible return privilages.

I've had several 40/2's, and they're remarkably unspectacular.  Yes, it's very
thin, but it's no stellar performer, the aperture ring is VERY thin and picky
to use, and it's horribly overpriced.  Why overpriced?  Well, considering that
you can buy 50/1.8's for $20-30 all day long, I can't see paying $4-600 for the
lens....(those on the list have heard me say this before)....IT'S NOT WORTH IT
FOR A USER.

Perhaps if the lens had some sort of special imaging signature or was a thin as
a Pen-F 38/2.8 it would be worth it, but it's not as good as a 50/1.8,
especially a MIJ 50.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost