Re: [OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly pictu

Subject: Re: [OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly pictures)
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:51:21 +0200
Hi,

> So my question is: can this lens be considered in the same way as
> long telephotos, or should I suppose there's something wrong?

I'm afraid the latter is the case, as mine does not focus beyond infinity
(IIRC).

> In this case, what would be the fault?

Well, I once had an issue with my 65-200/4 which caused it to _not_ focus at
infinity (nor anywhere beyond say 30 metres or so). I made use of the
seller's (a shop, fortunately) warranty to have it serviced. It was then
readjusted after which it worked fine.

I think your lens would need to be readjusted at well if this really bugs
you. The good thing is that it does focus to infinity, now, if it also
focuses properly at close distances, there is not that much of an issue. I
guess if you do not have a similar warranty as I had, you might as well
leave it at that. Then, if it really bugs you, I guess you'll have to bring
the lens to some skilled repair personnel for tuning...

> Of course, being able to focus *past* infinity wouldn't be a
> problem as being unable to focus *to* infinity. The
> lens is still perfectly usable, even though I feel "annoyed" (to
> be polite) by this peculiarity.

There ya go. I'd probably check into any warranty. If there's none, you
might still get a quote but it might be expensive.

> I tested the lens on an OM-4Ti with 2-13 screen on.

That's what I use as well.

> Other Zuiko lenses all behave correctly at infinity on the same
> camera, so I suppose the problem is not there...

Yes, the issue definitely resides in the lens.

Cheers!
Olafo