[OM] Re: (OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly pictures)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:42:29 +1200
Hi Fabio;

You wrote

> Hi list!
> after the problems experienced with my new (well, "used" :) 18mm f/3.5 (btw:
> thanks to all the list members who promptly cleared my doubts) I found myself
> facing another annoying problem with the 100 f/2.0.
>
> I haven't had lot of spare time to test it since its arrival, so yesterday I
> decided to do a photo session with that lens.
>
> Everything seemed okay until I tried to focus to infinity (i.e. objects being
> 50
> or 100 meters far away). With my greatest surprise, I could focus at such
> distances but the focusing mark still sits *before* infinity on the distance
> scale, so I can turn the focusing ring even further towards infinity!
>
> If the distance scale reads "infinity", indeed, those objects standing at 50,
> 100 or even more meters, appear no longer focused in the split prism...
(snip)
> So my question is: can this lens be considered in the same way as long
> telephotos, or should I suppose there's something wrong? In this case, what
> would be the fault?
>
> Of course, being able to focus *past* infinity wouldn't be a problem as being
> unable to focus *to* infinity. The lens is still perfectly usable, even
> though I
> feel "annoyed" (to be polite) by this peculiarity.
>
> I tested the lens on an OM-4Ti with 2-13 screen on. At home I have an OM-2Sp
> with standard 1-13 screen, but forgot to test the lens with this setup.
>
> Other Zuiko lenses all behave correctly at infinity on the same camera, so I
> suppose the problem is not there...
>
> Any help from your experience would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ciao
>
> Fabio
>
> PS: Meanwhile, if you have spare time, this is the link to my picture's site [
> http://www.contrasti.it/flowerside/foto ] nearly all of them were taken with
> Olympus equipment. Any critique and comment is welcome! :)

In my experience the Zuiko 100/2 has very *critical* focusing. (I don't know if
*critical* is the correct word, so I will explain).  I just took mine out and
looked.

Using a split-image screen.

At 1000+ metres the mast of a yacht lines up exactly on both sides of the
split-image line when the focus is turned to infinity.

A tree branch at 250 metres, lens turned to infinity, is VERY distinctly NOT
in focus. On either side of the split, it did not line up. The focus had to be
turned back a little.

So it seems that an object has to be at 500 - 600 metres before the 100/2
*thinks* it is at infinity.

Does that help?

I liked your images. You are very interested in people, and what they do and
how they express themselves  - so your photography is hugely different from
mine - I never take that sort of shot. (people and me don't mix !) So I was
fascinated in what you achieved.

Brian