Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:44:56 -0400
Boris, all the photos at:

http://www.zuik.net/om/artlight/
user: zuiko
pswd: om4ti

that begin with 'P' were taken with the C-5050, all others the om4t.
The thing that amazes me about the C-5050 is the degree of control over
the camera you do get. It falls down in two main areas, responsiveness,
you have to pre-compose and hold the button half depressed, and hard to
control auto-focus, but they did the best they could. For instance, you
can auto-focus with half-depressed shutter, then press another button
and you are instantly in manual focus mode. You can save in raw mode
and pretty much control all the decisions about processing. So I'm not
understanding your point just yet. The shot
<http://www.zuik.net/om/artlight/pages/P2201470crop.htm>
is like painting with light to me.

Based on the C-5050, I think the E-1 could be quite a tool for opening
new horizons. You can pretty much make the camera behave just like it
is a film camera in terms of control. And to go off into the esoteric
deep end, I also think there is magic in film. But now we are starting
to talk about quality versus quantity. The kind of 'quality' that is
not a measured thing, like pixels and noise - anything measurable I'm
calling quantity. Was your comment on low pass filtering a subjective
statement about quality versus quantity? You can't quantify mood,
passion, tension, movement, certain colors, certain light, etc. When
photography enters into the area of quality, magic begins. Will the E-1
take out or have the magic? When you handle film, the way you load your
camera, does that affect the quality of the photographic moment for
you? Does an OM-4t with 24/2.8 + metal lens shade have a magic feeling
in your hands? Do you feel different when you put B&W film in your
camera, versus just saying to yourself, "I can just convert it later in
PS"? Does equipment affect the quality of your seeing? Does jellyfish
in the water affect the quality of the swim? :-)

At 08:18 AM 9/22/2003, Boris wrote:

><snip>  What do you think about my comment about the E-1 being the best tool
>to do traditional photography, but it missed the boat when it comes to being a
>tool that would open new horizons for people like you and me?
>Sorry for the confusion, may be I should write when I am less angry, but you
>have to know that it is a matter of life and death when someone interrupts
>Boris' swimming even if it is a jellyfish...

LOL, ...but unlike you, those jellyfish are impersonal.