[OM] Sampling white picket fences

Subject: [OM] Sampling white picket fences
From: "Jeffrey Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:03:52 -0700
I've never heard aliasing called a beating artifact. Beating occurs when two signals at nearly the same frequency add together in phase, then cancel each other out of phase. Imagine two white picket fences one in front of the other, both in front of a black background. One fence has 3" wide pickets spaced every 6", the other has 3.05" wide pickets spaced every 6.1". Approximately every (3 / 0.1 ) * 6" = 180" the image will change from showing black between the pickets to showing a solid white area.

Aliasing occurs because if you take a sample every 1.5" of a 3" wide picket fence space every 6" you will get two white samples then two black samples. If the pickets are 2" wide spaced every 4" you can still get two white samples then two black samples when you take a sample every 1.5". --- If you know that every dimension doesn't have any components less than 3" you can perfectly reconstruct the image from the samples taken every 1.5".

-jeff
AM radio reception can be ruined by beating because the radio responds to the slow variation between the peak to peak amplitude - to the overall white vs black.

Intermodulation can cause beat frequency signals to be created but has nothing to do with photography but plenty to do with AM radios.

From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Er...
My fault, in that I was trying to draw a parallel between two entirely
different results which have the same cause!
Quite correct that film doesn't alias. It fogs.
When you hit the limiting frequency, a fixed uniform sample system begins to
form beating artefacts. Since this is a property of the sampling interface,
the downstream electronics don't know they are artefacts, and can do nothing
about it.