Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:32:59 -0400
At 2:25 AM +0000 9/20/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:42:30 -0400
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
>
>Julian said:
>IIRC, Oly said that the lenses were designed to support a sensor of 11 -
>12 Mp, which is the intended design limit of the system.
>- -----------------------------------------------------------
>
>Not sure if Oly has said it but Kodak certainly has.  See:
><http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/sensorsMain.jhtml>
>and click on "New 4/3-type standard" in the upper right hand corner.
>
>That will take you to a PDF with a chart that clearly shows the
>resolution design limit for 4/3 lenses at 12 megapixels.  While it
>doesn't say so, the curve extending from the current 5 megapixel sensor
>up to 12 megapixels I'm sure is intended to show the future development
>path for the 4/3 system.
>
>Curiously, this curve has some discreet points plotted on it at 3, 4, 5,
>6, 8 and 10 mp.  After the 10 mp point the curve is dashed instead of
>solid.  I can easily read design points into this that says the E-2 is 6
>mp, the E-3 8 mp and the E-4 is 10 mp.  And like the OM line, there
>won't be an E-5 with 12 mp which would stretch the theoretical limits of
>the lenses.
>
>The chart also clearly shows that consumer grade DC's already have pixel
>sizes smaller than a 4/3 sensor with 12 megapixels.  Therefore, the
>technical challenge isn't making small enough pixels but small enough
>pixels that also satisfy all the other system contraints.

There is a another issue to consider, dynamic range and noise floor.  The
smaller the pixel the smaller the dynamic range, and that's what the figure is
trying to show.  In brighter light, one can use smaller pixels to get the same
noise level.

The theoretical limit of the "Ideal Observer", achieved in scientific CCDs
anyway, is to be limited only by shot noise in either the photon flux falling
on the sensor, or in the electrons collected by that sensor.  These both follow
Poisson statistics, which I described some time ago.  Basically, the standard
deviation of the noise is equal to the square root of the average level.  This
is inescapable, arising from the physics of light and of electron devices.
So, to achieve a given signal-to-noise level, one must collect a certain number
of photons (or electrons) per pixel.  In bright light, a small pixel can do
this in a reasonable amount of time.  In dimmer light, the pixel must be
larger, or one must accept a more noisy image.

Joe Gwinn