Re: [OM] How many bits/pixel does a digital image need?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many bits/pixel does a digital image need?
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:30:58 +0100
I think this is true for capture and storage, but the lessons of audio tell
us that synthesizing a couple of extra bits of noise below the data on
reproduction can work wonders on areas of slow change. As long as there is
sufficient data to represent the tonal range of the target film, the noise
(dither) would represent the random grain of the film and smooth out blocky
colour.
I'm certain that our DSP pros can add much more to this than I can...

Julian