[OM] ( OM) OT New & dangerous virus; header may be "Microsoft Internet U

Subject: [OM] ( OM) OT New & dangerous virus; header may be "Microsoft Internet Update Pack"
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:27:20 -0400
At 2:54 PM +0000 9/19/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:10:31 +1200
>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] ( OM) OT New & dangerous virus; header may be "Microsoft
>Internet Update Pack"
>
>W32.Swen.A@mm
>
>Go to http://www.symantec.com and check out the link on the front page.
>
>It came to me as a file of 150 - 200 kb (can't remember exactly). I deleted it
>before opening too deeply, It contains at least 2 gif files and the worm
>program.
>
>W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine
>to spread itself. It attempts to spread through file-sharing networks, such as
>KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill antivirus and personal firewall programs
>running on a computer.
>
>The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From:
>address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for
>Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail.

In the last two days, I have received at least 100 copies of variations on this
virus.  Some had their executable stripped by an email server somewhere, but
most did not.  (Another virus came as I type.)  Formerly, I got two or three a
day.

At work, on Thursday we were all told by the IT department to reboot our
computers immediately, so the patch could be pushed to all our desktop
machines, one step ahead of the deluge.

This spam virus flood is overwhelming people and IT departments everywhere.
*Something* will give, and soon.

>Systems Affected:
>Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT,
>Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

But not MacOS or UNIX (Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc).

Joe Gwinn