[OM] e-1 vs. om

Subject: [OM] e-1 vs. om
From: Peter Dixon <pdixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:43:58 +0100
Hi all

I've stayed quiet on the subject so far but it's midnight in the UK and I don't feel like bed just yet... It is a testament to the reliability, usability and quality of the OM system that so many of us get so much pleasure from our old, "outdated" cameras. The OM system went the way of the dodo long before we would like to admit. After the black 4ti, IMHO. I see the 3ti and the 35-80 as a last, and truly glorious hurrah. Olympus gets a lot of flack, but they stayed with us for a lot longer than I expected. They have become a market leader in 35mm compacts, and then digital compacts. A couple of years ago I thought they had long abandoned the pro market to N and C. The release of the E-1, and the mooted OM adaptor, is a huge cause for celebration. In an ideal world, there would be a digital OM body. But olympus has barely made any of the lenses for years, let alone sold them (handful of expensive exceptions aside). Olympus is a much smaller company than N and C, and are taking a huge risk with the E-1. I hope it is a great
success.

Regards

Pete