Re: [OM] [OT] waiting time until New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] waiting time until New E-1
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:04:06 +0200
Moose schrieb:

Understandable sour grapes for more than one reason. Some years ago, a study that rated longevity to occupation showed conductors as one of the healthiest and longest lived and the musicians they direct as one of the shortest lived. Wherever I read it, it was speculated that control over one's life and/or the details of one's work might be a significant factor in health and longevity. If I recall, US Senator and judge were 2 other occupations with well above average life spans.

I've heard of these studies - also it's assumed that the physical impact counts too. Conducting sure is a healthier movement than playing the violin, for instance. On the other hand, there are quite a few conductors that suffer a heart stroke during a performance. Physical strain for the musicians during concerts in any case is mostly underrated, too. Pulse rates of 180 are not uncommon during, say, a french horn solo (in a symphony, mind, not as a solo player). Since you can't physically act out the adrenalin, it's actually quite unhealthy...

cheers
:Doro
--
www.doro-foto.de/
Persönlichkeiten werden nicht durch schöne Reden geformt,