[OM] OM-1 battery contacts

Subject: [OM] OM-1 battery contacts
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:58:57 -0400
JH said:
The other side of the coin is that Olympus made a huge booboo during part of the OM-1 production run by accidentally using acid flux on the battery contact solder joint . I think this was mentioned in the "Tomosy" (?) OM book (not sure of spelling).
You got the spelling right and it's in Book 1, page 83. But Tomosy does not mention accidental usage or part of the production run. Perhaps that's a bit of lore from your personal history. He simply makes a statement that Olympus used acid core solder on the OM-1 battery contact. He then goes on to note that the contact is spring steel and takes to solder very poorly. He recommends using an acid or paste flux and a very hot iron to tin the contact after removal from the camera. Then a thorough washing to remove the acid before placing the contact back into the camara.

You may recall trying to walk me through a similar scenario on a Konica C-35 which had corroded the wire along its entire length until there was nothing left but copper oxide. The wire simply fell off both ends when it was touched. I tried acid flux, paste flux, 100 watt gun and a propane torch and finally concluded that nothing short of an arc-welder was going to make anything stick to that piece of spring steel. The camera is still sitting disassembled with no battery box.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA