Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:22:52 -0400
To answer the first posted question -
There is no discernable shutter lag. Obviously I'm not using test
equipment; I'm just shooting. But there's no difference that's apparent
to me between using this and any good film SLR. But until I do allot of
portrait shooting, and see whether I get blinks I didn't think were
there, etc., I can't really say.

The second - The Leica group had one of its food fights a few weeks ago
over this very issue, with many people saying - but not anywhere near a
majority- that they did not even have any interest in seeing photos that
weren't shot with Leicas. That kind of idiocy of course eliminates the
vast majority of the world's great photography - but go figure.

The third - Are these E-1 images and how did I get it?

Yes, indeed they are. And I just received it as a member of Olympus's
digital photographers group - which until recently was called "Camedia
Masters," and I think is now called "Olympus Visionaries" - hey, I
didn't name it, and I don't claim to be a visionary. But Olympus
provides us with equipment.

Which of course means that I have a conflict of interest. So let me say
I will NEVER say anything about this camera, or anything else
photographic that I do not honestly believe to be true. Those of you who
are, or have been, members of the Leica group know that I do not pull
any punches about anything - much to my regret at times. So if I say I
can't detect any shutter lag - which God knows I suffered with with the
E-20, I don't. If I say that images shot at 3200 are extremely noisy -
they are. ;-)

So that this doesn't go on forever, I'll post a second message a bit
later with first day impressions.

B. D.