Re: [OM] Filter Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Quality
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:02:54 +0200
Hi, all.

>You feel the B&W have the best coatings?

I've never tried a B+W filter in multicoated version, but I once did some
testing on flare/ghosting performance of several filters -- all with
several lenses. The 'just coated' B+W performed just like than a standard
Hoya (non-HMC) filter, and only slightly better than a no-name brand filter
(I'm talking about flare issues *only*). This means almost any lens tested
was more flare-prone with these filters on, than without any filter.

The best performer on that test was the Hoya HMC *Super*, which did not
impair lens' flare performance at all -- just like with no filter. In fact,
most of the time it looks like an empty ring with no glass! Trying to see
the reflection of very bright lights, you don't get the typical green
reflections of multicoated glass, but a very dark bluish ones.

The effect of other filters on flare, also depended on the lens used. The
Zuiko 21mm F3.5 (SC) performed OK with the standard Hoya, just like with no
filter.

About the effect of filters on sharpness/contrast/resolution, I haven't
done any serious testing, but I've been surprised by the *severe* loss of
contrast and sharpness of a Tamron 1A filter fitted to the front thread of
a Tamron SP 500m F8. It also caused some focus shift (I refocused before
each shot). OTOH, I tried a B+W filter on a Tamron SP 70-210mm F3.5 *with*
Tamron SP 2x attached (total 420mm), and hadn't noticed any trouble.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>