Re: [OM] Re: It ain't a Zuiko...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: It ain't a Zuiko...
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:12:48 -0300
I use the OM2s about 900ercent of the time now, and with it I probably
shoot it in manual/spot mode at least 900f the time. So yes, that is why I
notice lenses that are not communicating correctly. Since a lot of my
shooting is done around the ocean, I just got used to the meter not giving
the right exposure for slides, and lost my faith in it I guess. If I were
going to do all my shooting in auto modes, I'd use the OMPC, as I found it
the best in those situations.

Okay, I have to admit I don't think I've used the compensation dial more
than twice on any OM yet. I always compensate by using manual mode. I
suppose I picked up this bad habit with my first OM, the OM10, on which the
compensation dial is the worst pain of them all to use.

The one lens I do shoot in auto mode is the Samyang 18-28. The readings with
this lens is just nuts. In auto mode it is fine if the scene isn't too far
off grey. Sometimes I just use the sunny 16 rule with it.

Of course the OM1n and OM2000 are out for auto options. Don't have a 3 or 4;
way too expensive for me.
Wayne

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I assume you are referring to OM-1, 3, spot mode on the 4 series or
> manual operation on one of the other OMs. In auto modes, the TTL-OTF
> metering adjusts for any such problem based on the actual light coming
> through during exposure. So those like me who do the vast majority of
> their shooting in auto may not even be aware if 1 or more of their
> lenses don't quite communicate correctly with the camera about their
> aperture. That's not to say I always go by the meter, but I tend to use
> the compensation dial and still let the camera monitor the actual
> exposure as it happens.
>
> Moose
>
> Wayne Culberson wrote:
>
> >I'm a bit surprised that on this thread, no one has mentioned the
metering
> >problems that sometimes come up with using third party lenses. Or perhaps
> >I'm the only one who has experienced this? I have one Vivitar zoom lens
that
> >I just gave up on, as I could not get the metering right with it.
However, I