Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?
From: Per Ohstrom <poo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:53:08 +0200
This is an interesting format question. I have never seen an 8x12 (which I think would be the equivalent of 20x30 cm) in Sweden.

In fact, I have for some time wondered how widespread the 8x10 format is. It seems to be the most common print enlarging format in USA and probably many, many other areas of the world. However, in Sweden you can't even buy print paper in this size (20x25 cm) except by special order. Here, the 'standard' formats are 9x13 cm, 13x18 cm, 18x24 cm, 24x30 cm, 30x40 cm, and 40x50 cm. That is, if you do the printing yourself. The standard print size from a photo lab is 10x15 cm. It is usually also possible to order a 15x21 cm, but not 20x25 cm. I have no idea at all why the 8x10" hasn't had the seemingly universal success in my country. Are there other countries out there where the 8x10s are similarly uncommon?

As a matter of fact, I do love the 8x10 format (after having made the needed special order, that is). You don't get all of the 35 mm, but you can make a clever cropping of your picture. And it is easy to get a good picture out of an square MF 6x6 negative as well.

Strange, isn't it?

-poo