Re: [OM] Re: Macs vs PCs; 16-bit apps vs SUV - who cares?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Macs vs PCs; 16-bit apps vs SUV - who cares?
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:35:35 -0700
Jan,

No need to be nasty. I am not just sitting back and bitching, I have posted and replied to a number of topics here (at least 15 posts in the last week or so.) I will admit that I have pointed out that the list has been rude and off topic a lot as of late. I think it is a real problem. I think a few post pointing that out will contribute a lot more to the list than a sting of posts related to compute platform wars, SUVs, vegimite, ect, ect, ect.

I guess it just seems like since I have returned to the list folks are more interested in discussing automobiles, computers, or flaming each other. As you pointed out, folks often don't respond to on-topic discussions, but we (myself included) seem to be all to ready to respond to off-topic chatter. I just think it would be more useful to stay a little more on-topic. There also seems to be a big double standard here. You can talk about rival computer platforms and SUVs all you want, but don't post anything positive about rival camera systems! (Right Tom?) I can see how digital, MF, Scanner, and darkroom talk is at least related to OMs the rest is a bit much. A week or two ago folks were pointing out that this was the OM list originally, and that Olympus digital stuff was actually off topic, but SUVs and computer debates aren't? Seems strange to me.

Jim Couch

From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just waded through over 150 messages, and only a few were even close to on topic. I am afraid I just don't have the time or tolerance anymore.

Well, when I re-subscribed, I posted on-topic, inviting discussion about shift
lenses and fisheyes in canyons. Not a single reply. So I went on to my
second-most-favorite topic (MacOS X), which I prefer to discussing cars, guns,
etc.

Y'know, you can sit back and bitch, or you can steer the discussion to your
liking, or you can choose to take part in appropriate discussions -- your
choice.

Obligatory Olypmus content: just did a fine-art shoot, using the 90/2 to shoot
watercolors. When I'm not in some canyon or at the base of some mountain, that
has got to be my favorite lens!

(Consider the previous paragraph an invitation to steer things back to the list
topic... :-)