Re: [OM] Shooting Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting Weddings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:40:36 -0500
At 09:01 PM 9/2/03, Dan wrote:
Most like 35-105
Dan

I can speak only for myself:  *fast* 35-105/2.8

It can be done using only a 50mm standard although it's more difficult working around things such as tightly spaced tables at a reception. It forces more thinking about alternative compositions.

The Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5 is too slow for me . . . OK for the ceremony but the viewfinder goes too dim even with 2-series focus screens in low reception lighting. It's why I bought the pair of 35-105/2.8 Tamron lenses after doing some research on the optical quality of some non-OEM fast zooms.

That said, I've used a 135/2.8 prime for ceremony shots when I've had to do all of them from the back of a sanctuary. The 135/2.8 is always on hand, just in case, but it's rarely used.

I don't recommend anything shorter than 35mm for general wedding photographs . . . it's too easy to get into perspective trouble. There are some stunning things that can be done with an 18mm or 21mm, but it would only be for one or two unusual and carefully posed/composed shots, and the venue in which they're done must be amendable to using a super-wide's perspective.

-- John