[OM] Fried B&W

Subject: [OM] Fried B&W
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:02:36 -0400
Man, sorry to hear about that! That's very disappointing. I second the
notion of doing it yourself, especially if you have a good scanner. I
haven't done my own in years but I'm going to resume by using a changing bag
and then scanning the negs, which I do anyway after the lab processes them
for me. Setting up a full wet darkroom is out of the question but with
today's digital avenues, a changing bag will do it for me. Speaking of labs,
I highly recommend A&I <http://www.aandi.com/> . They're famous for their
B&W work and have some kind of relationship with B&H (get it? A&I, B&H??).
If you buy the mailers from B&H, there's a discount. I think I'm paying $16
for a roll of 24 or 36 35mm or a roll of 120, and that includes printing and
return mail. It's also about $5 cheaper than the local camera shop, which
must send it out. In truth, I'm not convinced it'll be a whole lot cheaper
doing it myself once I get all the goods, but I'm looking forward to the
process, and I'm worried it will be more and more difficult to get B&W
processed. I try to save up about 5 rolls if they won't be sitting around
too long and then send them en masse in an overnight envelope so they don¹t
sit in a hot mailbox for a day (and so it won't take a week to get to CA).
A&I mails them back out in about 48 hours. And I've been very happy with
their work, as are lots of others.

Matthew Born