Re: [OM] Oly 1000mm f-11 Lens Experience

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 1000mm f-11 Lens Experience
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:08:47 -0700
Gary Reese is still having trouble posting to the list. Here are his comments on the 600 & 1000mm Zuikos:

Moose asks:

<< But how experience much did he [Gary Reese] have with such lenses when he
did the tests? >>

None to very little in those days.  Lots now.  However, I had read all the
super telephoto shooting techniques for decades and tried whatever made
sense.  I'm still of the opinion that 600mm+ lens tests must be done with
flash to eliminate vibration effects. My testing procedure didn't work after
500mm.

<< The tests were an evolutionary process, where he learned as he tested and
tried new things. I have no direct knowledge where in that process the 600
and 1000mm lenses were tested. And look at that, the 600 with only mirror
lock-up does less well than the 1000mm with aperture and mirror pre-fire.
Perhaps 2 tripods or a lens support isn't the solution. Was the camera held
as Oly suggests or was a cable release used? What would a nice
bean/sand/whatever bag resting on something big and solid under the lens do
to reduce vibration through absorption?>>

The 600mm tests were at the 1/2-way mark.  They were done on a concrete floor
in a storage unit hallway, probably with the  self-timer and weight attached
to the tripod.  Given my exposures were equivalents to a 1/8th sec @ f/16
light level, I wouldn't think of touching the camera during exposures - at
least with lenses over 400mm.  The second test with "lens support" was
probably a tripod head resting under the front of the lens hood.  It made no
difference.  I use the same lens to this day. I shoot at 1/500th or faster
and drape an arm over the top of the lens and bear down into the tripod with
my weight. I get a very stable setup that way. I hide myself from the wind,
if there is any.  Don't even try and use one when it is windy out unless you
can shelter yourself.  The hands on the camera technique is worthless for
shutter speeds of about 1/250th sec. or slower.  The multicoated 600mm
probably produces B or B- SQF grades at f/6.5 and f/8, which are usually the
only two apertures I can shoot at. High shutter speeds are way more important
than using an optimum aperture. But, I never can enlarge them more than about
an 8x12.

After the lens tests, I put the 600mm though bench testing thinking something
was wrong with the lens.  However, it passed a collimeter test with flying
colors.  It all comes down to controlling vibration.

The 1000mm test was done very late in testing, on concrete in an indoor
hockey rink. I used the self-timer. Most other OM-4/4T and 2S based tests
were done on an ice skating rink with the tripod frozen to the ice, plus a
heavy bag. I think I would hate trying to use one for actual picture taking.
There are just too many stability issues to deal with.

Two tripods are a ridiculous setup. Even if you think you have a static scene
framed and lock down your tripod head, the darn lens will "settle."  I can
hold a very steady rifle, so the best technique for me is a single tripod in
the lens tripod socket, one arm way out in front and the second on the
camera.  I restrict myself to Provia 400F (or 400-800 speed neg film) and
leave it loaded in a OM-4 or 4T that stays attached to the camera.

My favorite telephoto is still a 400mm Novoflex, but it is difficult to
travel with, so it gets left behind too often.

I've made quite a few contributions over the last few days to the List, but
they have been lost. This probably will be, too, so feel free to post it on
my behalf.

Gary