Re: [OM] Oly 1000mm f-11 Lens Experience

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 1000mm f-11 Lens Experience
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:42:59 -0700
I've used a Zuiko 600. The rack focusing is a pain when you flip the
camera to portrait orientation. It works well in landscape orientation.
You may well have more muscles than me, but after carrying the 600
around for three or four hours my arm was very sore. The Tamron 400/4
seem to be about the limit of what I can carry.  A list member put his
1000 up for sale several months ago  in part because the weight
difference between the 600 and the 1000 was enough that he rather take
the 600.

I've got an 800mm f11 Vivitar S1 solid cat lens. Focusing is very
challenging. Using a Varimagni finder helps but the left/right reversal
is distracting while trying to follow a moving animal. You would be able
to stop down the Zuiko 1000 to compensate for focusing errors and your
eyes may well be better than mine. If you are wanting a long lens to
take pictures of birds, the Zuiko is probably too slow.

If you want to carry it in your SUV and take pictures of distant wild
animals it would probably work well. It would probably also work well if
the animals keep coming back to the same place so that you don't have to
chase them. I got my 600 from a guy living near a lake. He was also
selling some duck decoys. You will need a very good tripod and head! It
doesn't take much vibration at 600mm + to blur the image.

Any Zuikoholic would love the 1000mm, but not for chasing animals.

-jeff