[OM] Film scanner

Subject: [OM] Film scanner
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:21:44 -0400
For what it's worth, N*kon has a $200 rebate floating around on the 4000
right now. The folks on the N*kon digest are talking about its replacement,
which is apparently in the pipeline. I have not paid particularly close
attention to any of the details since, I would imagine, lots of it is
speculation at this point, and I'm divesting myself of N*kon equipment.
Nonetheless, the rebate makes the 4000 a pretty good buy right now. Rest
assured, however, should I buy one, the replacement will be cheaper, scan at
12,000 dpi, have a dynamic range of about 9.6, communicate with any computer
by telepathy (no cables), and having scanning times at max res (with ICE and
about 12 passes) around 1 second. Oh, and it will include both Vuescan and
SilverFast. And will do medium format.

Cheers,
Matthew Born