Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifically...
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:55:38 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/03 7:36:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
scheesjl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'll be putting it in checked luggage.
>  I'm thinking of the Gitzo G-1026 Weekend Compact Performance Tripod.  I
will
>  also need a head.  I was thinking of a ball mount.  Any advise in this area
>  would be very helpful.

Hi Joe,
I purchased the G-1026 many years ago with the exact same intended use. I
bought a small Stroboframe ball head and added a Kirk Enterprises ARCA Swiss
type
adapter to the ball head. The tripod is a four section unit. The bottom
section is kind of weak, but overall the tripod is great to travel with. It
fits in
my checked luggage with no problem. Unless I absolutely have to use the
tripod at maximum height, I generally don't extend the bottom section. You
might
also look at one of the small carbon fiber tripods. I think Hakuba has one
that's about the same size as the G-1026.

Gary Faulkenberry