[OM] Best Screen for Astrophotography

Subject: [OM] Best Screen for Astrophotography
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:20:05 -0600
I keep a reflector telescope at my mountain place and have a Orion camera
adapter that I have not used. We have a lot of fires burning here now but
Sunday night the smoke blanket cleared enough that I tried to photograph
Mars. I had been told that the 1-7 focusing screen was the best to use for
this application and tried it with an OM-1. I could barely see through the
thing and wasted most of my time trying. I finally gave up and put on the
OM-4T I had with me that has a 2-4 screen. That combination worked much
better and I tried a couple of exposures at 10 and 20 seconds. I then did a
couple of exposures of the moon using automatic exposure. The smoke makes
the moon shine in a very red color but by the time I took the pictures it
was above the smoke layer. I'll use those as a reference and try again later
with mirror lockup etc. to try for a good image. The next day I looked
through the cameras again (in daylight) using the scope adapter and had the
same results. Some of you have experience in this area and I'm curious what
screens you prefer to use. /jim