Re: [OM] Sharp vs contrast was Cheap, sharp Tamron 500/8 mirror in UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharp vs contrast was Cheap, sharp Tamron 500/8 mirror in UK
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:12:28 -0400
On Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at 21:19
Johan Malmström <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Den/At 03-08-19 20.16 skrev/wrote "tOM Trottier" <[Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]>:
>
> > Sharper than the Zuiko, but not as contrasty
>
> This is my opinion.
>
> To get high contrast something must be sharp.
>
> Why?
>
> For instance: Take a photo of something with narrow thin lines with (1) a
> film with high resolution (for simplicity a film with low ISO) and (2) a
> film with low resolution (for simplicity a film with high ISO).
>
> I would say that the lines taken with (1) would have sharp edges, the
> contrast between the lines and the background would be high. But in the
> second case the lines would have less sharp edges and therefor lesser
> contrast.
>
> Am I all wrong here?
>
> So my question is: How could a lens yield sharp pictures with low
> contrast?

Consider an area of fine detail. High resolution would allow you to see
many details. High contrast increases the difference between the darkest
and lightest areas of the film. The area of fine detail may come out gray
because of the lack of resolution with a contrasty but low-resolution
lens..

But shadow areas will be darker and highlights brighter on slide film
with a high-contrast lens.

Since digital processing allows more control of contrast with colour,
resolution is more important since the contrast can be juiced up, but
actual resolution can't be effectively increased.

Some people like lenses with lower contrast for contrasty situations, and
for low light exposures since the extra exposure in the shadows increases
the apparent film speed.

tOM
---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1-775-307-4133
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
-Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826)