Re: [OM] OM to K-mount Adapter?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to K-mount Adapter?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:37:23 +0200
Hi, Gene and all.

>Does anyone know if there's an OM-Kmount adapter similar to the OM-EOS
>adapter?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Working distance of K-mount lenses is
quite close to that of the Zuikos: 45.46mm for K, vs. 46.00mm for OM --
that's 0.54 mm, too little room. On the other hand, EOS working distance is
just 44.00 mm, which gives a full 2 mm clearance.

To make things worse, the diameter of the K mount is not much larger than
the OM (48.5mm vs 47.4mm). I've got no EOS camera, but I've heard that it's
mount has a rather large diameter, which helps the design of any adapter.

>This might prove interesting if the Pentax Digital *ist turns out to be a
>good option.

More bad news... I've seen the *ist instruction manual (the film version)
and it doesn't work with lenses lacking the electric contacts of KA/KAF and
later mounts...

There's a custom function to allow shutter release with classic K-mount
lenses, but in a very limited way: will shoot wide-open only in
aperture-priority. Manual mode allows the use of the aperture ring, but
meter won't be operative.

Hope this helps,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>