[OM] New kid in the block, mju-400 Digital

Subject: [OM] New kid in the block, mju-400 Digital
From: Johan Malmström <johan.malmstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:36:58 +0200
Greetings!

First! I see this list as the best photo club in the world and we have a
common platform, the OM-system. I hope the list manage to stay that way.

It can happen to anyone. And now it has happen to me. I needed a new small
camera, that could go with me were ever I went. So when browsing through
Olympus site, I found PT-16 underwaterhouse for mju-digital. And looking at
the price it was at least 40 heaper than other brands underwaterhouses.

So while my two OM-1:ns is on a small vacation
(http://www.intervision.se/index2.htm) being well serviced, I bought a
Olympus Digital Mju-400  and a underwater house PT-16

So my first impressions are:

- It's small. I mean really small!

- It's hard taking photos with all this automation. And why is the flash
used so often?

- It's really fun snapping motion-clips. No audio though. But the stampsized
picture on-screen doesn't bother me.

- I need the water protection when, for example kayaking, but I'm not a
diver so I have only used it at and above surface. For instance I hade the
camera sitting on top of the kayak. It keeps the camera dry.

- The waterhouse requiers the camera to be opened all time so there is no
way of shuting of the camera manually this is hard for the batteries.

- To change battery and memory chip you have to unload the camera from the
case. I hadn't thought of this before, and maybe this is common for cases
like this, but my first reaction was that it would have been nice if you
could change battery and memory chip with the "house" on.

- It eats batteries.

Being on the edge, almost OT here, I say if any body wants too have more
thoughts on the mju-400, please respond.

Since I bought the mju-400 (last week of July) I have taken about 7 rolls of
TMAX 100 with my OM-4.

/ Johan