Re: [OM] [OT] multiplatform photography

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] multiplatform photography
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:08:49 +1000
Can't disagree Tom - just making the point that Macs have a much higher repesentation in this particular area than they do in other areas. In fact, I was looking a some high end photo manipulation software the other day (much beyond my needs) and under system requirements it specified G3 or higher - no mention of Intel. 'That's a first,' I thort. 'Cartoony'? What, you mean like XP? (Where I can never bloody well find anything! (Please note - the preceding comment is not meant to be taken seriously in any way, nor even three times a day. As one of the topics guaranteed to trigger a flame war unredeemed by any humour whatsoever, platform loyalty is an extraordinarily tedious argument. Don't. Just don't!)
AndrewF

Unfortunately, Andrew, this might be the case for the Pro users of a 12x0, I
would bet you dollars to donuts (seemed like an appropriate cliche), that a
huge majority of photo printer owners are PC users. They're sitting next to
PCs, in bedrooms and dens, of people that have absolutely no way to capture
an image for which the printer is capable, but use it for upscale snapshots.

I use Apples occasionally and like them (except for the cartoony user
interface), but honestly have not found anything that can be done on one
platform that cannot be done on the other.

Except for things like this utility that just won't be available for the
Mac.

No bigotry here. I'm, at home, just a single platform guy (OK, Intel, not
Windows, as I also run Mandrake and RedHat).

Tom

<snip> The annoyance is in the probability that although many more of the
 people doing quality photo-printing are using Macs than the overall
 sales proportion would suggest, no-one has written this very nice
 little 'stick-it-up-Epson' program for the rest of us. Or have they?
 Would love to use it on the Mac-driven 1290 at work (they bought us
 the printer but didn't really budget for the cartridges - sound
 familiar?)
 AndrewF
 (loves his Canon printer)