[OM] ( OM) Epson printers slightly OT

Subject: [OM] ( OM) Epson printers slightly OT
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:22:29 +1200
Hello folks

A few days ago (week or more) I asked about printing labels and CDROMS
and had it explained to me that the use of stick-on labels had some dangers
to the CD reader. At higher revolutions, they self-destruct.

Among the correspondence to come out of this was the suggestion to get
good printable CDs and print directly on to the CD back itself.

I can get screen-printing done locally but have not checked out the cost.

HOWEVER, somebody stated that the Epson Stylus Color printer will print
on CDROMs.  So, I investigated a little further and ended up purchasing a
CDROM with Epson 700 service manuals etc on oBoy.

This CD arrived just now and I have just looked at the information it holds.
And my Cd reader co-operated. For a change. Nice CD reader. ;-)

It is clear that the Epson 700 series printers are not designed to print on non-
flexible media such as CDs. The medium feed-path is not straight. CDs are
not at all mentioned in the manual as something the printer will print on.
Paper and transparencies only.

SO, can any of you Epson printer users come up with a better suggestion for
printing on CDs, and/or explain how the 700 series printer will print on CDs?

And it was interesting; the manual gives the normal service life of an Epson
print cartridge as just one month.

Another point up for the HP 5L Laserjet !!

And, no: I have not had a chance to try fresh bagels yet.  Next week maybe.

Brian