Re: [OM] Re: MSblaster worm warning!

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: MSblaster worm warning!
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:03:00 +0100
Dear All,
I got this soon after it was discovered. I thought there was some dodgy hardware conflict going on and was about to reinstall when I had a little search on the Internet and found it was a virus. By then it had infected the entire departmental computer network, even with the Microsoft security update installed. Its a right sod but isn't that difficult to get rid of. Just go here and download their fixing tool:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

And if you can't get it that way you can be a masochist and edit the Registry............ ;)

All the best,
Gareth.

Walt Wayman wrote:
BEWARE, PEOPLE!

This damn thing has invaded my laptop, and it's a royal PIA to get rid of. Norton can't fix, quarantine or delete it. There's all sorts of rigamarole involved in undoing the damage it does.

I downloaded the latest virus definitions last Saturday and, as usual, did a full system scan on Sunday (my computer's set to do that automatically). This thing started popping up Monday afternoon, announcing that an error in a remote something or other had occurred and that the computer would be shut down. Then it does a 60-second countdown, and, poof, restarts the computer.

So, if your virus definitions are more than 48 hours old, I would strongly suggest you download the latest update. The current defs apparently will detect and repel this piece of crap.

I'd like to get my hands on the POS geek who wrote it. This just reinforces my long-time conviction that 10 percent of the people in the world today are alive only because it's illegal to kill them. And I would happily make an exception for this creep.

Walt

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol
BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible
is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not
wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke