Re: [OM] Quick release plate - Kirk, Really Right Stuff, ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick release plate - Kirk, Really Right Stuff, ?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:58:22 -0700
Thank you Gary, a little first hand user experience should reduce my
wild guessing.

Unfortunately neither Kirk nor RRS have dimensions. You don't express
any preference for one over the other so I went with Kirk (the guy on
the phone had to go measure the plates). Kirk has one specifically
called out for the Tamron 400/4. None of the Kirk plates seem to have
the safety stop screw but I rotate the big lenses in the tripod mount so
the most common risk would be when I flop the camera vertical with a
wide angle which would be using the camera plate rather than a lens
plate.

I picked up a used Acratech head recently and need more plates. I
haven't mounted any big lenses on it yet but so far it seems more solid
than the Bogen heads I've owned. It definitely has a wonderful feel to
it. I should have gone with a sturdy head the first time instead of
replacing one after another, each time getting something rated for a
heavier load. The magnesium Bogen 3437 was a great design but sure
couldn't handle the weight I was putting on it.

Did you see any significant differences between the Kirk BH-1 (?) and
the Arca Swiss B1 ?

Have you used or even seen first hand any of the flash brackets? They
appear sturdy enough that they could support a small rain canopy for the
camera and lens. The cost would give me a heart attack though.

Thanks again,
-jeff