[OM]

Subject: [OM]
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:25:44 -0400
A brief reply then I quit. Good science is ipso facto. The science in this issue is fascinating and fun. Counterpoint with misappropriated facts is not contributory to anyone.

have never owned this lens. With uniform discoloration in a relatively
short time period, I would suspect a slowly developing chemical
discoloration from the rare earth or contaminants more than coloration
induced by radiation.

That is not the discoloration that the topic addresses - and rare earth compounds *are* radioactive sources!
Gross misappropriation: Being "rare earth" does not in any manner equate to radioactive. Most do NOT include a naturally occurring radioactive nuclide. Our everyday world of electronics and chemistry and optics and ........ benefit from the widespread use of "rare earths". Rare earths can impart color to materials. Inorganic rare earth chemistry because of the common configuration of outer shell electrons is unique. Delayed reactions with time are to be expected.
The term "rare earth" refers directly to the Lanthanide series of elements.
Rebuttal would be wasted and not that which I intend. Suggest you review: http://science.howstuffworks.com/ framed.htm?parent=nuclear.htm&url=http://www.chemicalelements.com/

Lanthanide AND Actinide Series. Futher, it is the latter which contains Earth's natural long lived radionuclides.

SIDE NOTE RE RADIUM DIAL RISK: The radium dial painters died primarily from osteosarcoma since radium the chemical is handled as a bone salt by the body once absorbed. While at the above URL, click on the "Alkaline Earth Metals" to gain perspective on similar chemical characteristics of this family and the relationship to bone.

Just because the glass contains a trace quantity
of a long lived radionuclide does not automatically link ionizing
radiation to the color change.

Thorium-228 half life is under two years!
This is GROSSLY misinforming the list with a factoid devoid of context. If all Thorium was Th-228, there would be NO natural thorium on the planet!!! Suggest you inform the group of the characteristics of Th-232 and the relationship of Th-228 to the actinide chain if a contribution is to be made. Better, rather than consuming valuable time and bandwidth which should be devoted to photography, provide educational URLs.

 With this information, I am more
intrigued about the history and chemistry of the specific glass which
was used at that time. My general statement re the stability of glass
to ionizing radiation is fact.  I have no scientific experience with
glass containing radionuclides but have seen many pieces of antique
Heisey glassware ('Marigold' as I recall) which utilized uranium as a
coloring agent.  The radiation damage from the trace U-235 requires
decades to develop.   It is manifested by physical degradation of the
glass which is not uniform.  I suspect the uranium salts were either
not mixed well or were phase segregated in the molten glass.

But these types of glass use much more than a trace of radioactive material - as can be confirmed by checking them with a counter.
What counter? Under what conditions? Spectroscopy? Standard used for calibration? Units of measurement? Hyperbole and anecdotal science do not contribute. If you want to QUANTITATE a radioactive source, first learn about the multiple conditions which must be satisfied and equipment needed for the isotope in question. 'Checking with a counter' and 'much more than a trace' are meaningless statements which only amplify misunderstandings.

Also, I am not aware of ANY organic compounds used for coatings - the
coating fabrication, being a plasma deposoition process, tends to
preclude most organics.  I have specified diamond coating on some
optics, which technically is an organic material but not an organic
compound, and most coating materials are generally MgF or similar
materials.
Diamonds, inorganic (NOT organic) carbon, are remarkably resistant to
radiation, but not the technology of 1970 +/-.

Diamond, and indeed any pure form of carbon, is certainly a special case and not typical of the era but the definition of organic is "carbon containing",
Not by any of the years of graduate chemistry training I received was "organic" defined as "carbon containing"!!! Perhaps I did not receive a good education. Organic chemistry includes metals - - you would die without metaloproteins - - and inorganic chemistry would not be possible as we know it without the element carbon.

As for the coating issues you raise......... Believe what you choose, just be honest with the list about designating a grain of sand to be a mountain, thus in turn, a mountain range. I do hope that some with degraded lenses are able to recover, but skeptical. Whether yellowed because of chemical changes induced by a rare earth which is also radioactive or yellowed by ionizing radiation from a radioactive rare earth provides insight as to potential for recovery. In the end, it is probably a paper weight or a 'special effects' lens for b & w photos. I quit this thread and turn back to great lenses and good photo technique.

Keep your wrist watch on, your old 50/1.2 warm in your pocket and stock up on B & W film.

Regards,
Bill Hunter