Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:06:31 -0400
Not trying to be trite when I focus a response on how does ionizing radiation, whether alpha particles, beta particles or ionizing UV from sunlight or other effect their end deleterious effect on human tissues and glass. Absorption of energy breaks chemical bonds and forms free radicals and ion pairs. These engender altered or different chemical bonds. In the case of human cells, this can mean breaking normal genetic structure and, potentially, creating new genetic code of unknown value. In lenses, 'yellowing' is typically oxidation of elements comprising the glass analogous to what happens to the white of old newspapers. Inorganic glass is remarkably resistant to ionizing radiation. Degraded glass is unlikely to be 'cleared' by UV. Coating materials, however, contain organic carbon bonds which are readily degraded to produce 'yellowing'. For this component of 'yellowing' UV might help. As with organic 'dirt' in a white sheet hanging on a clothes line, most organic molecules are more subject to degradation by UV. You wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth.......... Today, for a lot more money than a tube of Pepsodent, your enterprising dentist will 'treat' your MC (yellow) teeth with UV.

SUM: If the yellow is within the inorganic glass structure, use it as a paperweight. Yellowing is most likely confined to the MC. If ionizing radiation has primarily affected carbon containing binders, etc., used for the coating, UV might work well. To try seems the obvious, since something from nothing is better than yellowed nothing..... Have no experience, but if it were my lens, would be very tempted to remove the glass element and place in the sun rather than risk REAL damage to the housing from overheating. Finally, if one of the members has access to a dental UV unit, it would be interesting to test a more controlled approach with less IR and heating. Again, removal of the element is suggested. Likewise, a solvent based approach to removal of the coating might be effective.

Finally, after many years in biomedical research with radioactive pharmaceuticals, I both applaud the efforts to understand the issues relevant to 'radioactive' lenses AND remain dismayed how the unknowing are so easily entrapped by misappropriated statements and histrionics. The public library is a good place to start. Virtually none of the questions which have been raised recently on this forum can be clearly answered unless the reader understands the basic chemistry and physics which underly the issues. I do applaud the efforts of some wise efforts. Bottomline: we live on a radioactive planet in a Universe whence energy is transfered by radiation which can ionize when absorbed. Were it not for this, neither we or Zuikos would exist. Unwise use has created human misery, none more tragic than the Radium Dial Painters. Educated use has provided a world of materials, science and medicine never dreamed of by our forefathers.
Regards,
Bill Hunter