Re: [OM] Mars close encounter

Subject: Re: [OM] Mars close encounter
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:09:22 +0200
Hi, Roger and all.

>Here's a shot from London, taken with a 50/1.8 lens and
>about 10s exposure:
>
>http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/pictures/mojuvem1.jpg

I've got a similar picture, taken May 14th, 2002 on Velez-Rubio (Almeria,
Spain), with the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 (most likely at 35mm setting):

<http://cjss.galeon.com/astro/20020514/jevml35.jpeg>

Jupiter is at top left. Venus is the brightest body above the Moon. Maybe
you can see Mars as a *faint* spot just above the Moon and to the right --
about 1 Moon-diameter distance. Finally, the star above Venus and near the
right edge of the pic is Elnath, from Taurus.

I've got a close-up of the same scene, taken with the Zuiko 300/4.5:

<http://cjss.galeon.com/astro/20020514/vml300.jpeg>

Bright Venus is at the top, and Mars is much more visible -- this one will
help you finding Mars in the previous pic. The lens was clearly stopped
down, thus the diffraction pattern.

I *know* that I've got a slide of Mars taken thru a telescope with eyepiece
projection -- *digged* under tons of slides... If I manage to find it, I'll
scan and post it ;-)

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>