[OM] Grouse Time.

Subject: [OM] Grouse Time.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel wrote:
>Promise?

Ok, I'm a bit fed up here (and not on donuts either).  Daniel,
I'm not sure who you are but please cool your jets.  OT banter
is par for the course with this list.  Always has, always will.

Subjects frequently discussed:

- SUVs which are those overpriced, gas-guzzling monstrosities
that crush KIAs for lunch.  Nobody NEEDS them, but everybody
wants them.  Don't like it?  TOUGH!  I've got two of them I can
choose from to roll over your econobox with.

- Automobiles.  Except for Larry, most guys have a pretty normal
viewpoint on them.  Sure, there are those "necessary evils"
types, but the majority of us are car guys.

- Guns.  Guns and Cameras have always gone together.  It's a
cross-culture kind of thing.

- Astronomy.  This gets right down to the very roots of this
list.  We can name-drop an early member if you'd like.  Somebody
that is highly respected in the astrophotography world.

- Food.  Everybody eats.  Take your rice-cakes and head back
into lurk mode.

- Flying.  This one is kinda up in the air...

- Digital photography.  Like it or not, film WILL eventually die
out.  Are we a bunch of has-beens?  If you want this list to
turn into a "collector" exchange--fine!  I think it's great that
Tom Scales has chosen the camera he has.  Both N*kon and C*non
have advantages and disadvantages.  Frankly, I agree with his
choice--I think the N*kon is the better one for several reasons
(CTS for one).

- Tom (Hunt Brothers) Scales efforts at propping up the Zuiko
economy by buying and selling copious amounts of Zuiko/OM gear.
If it wasn't for this friend (and I use that term in the correct
sense), most of us wouldn't have half the equipment we do.
Through very hard work, a firm knowledge base, and good
personality, he is achieving an economic state that may appear
to be "rich" to some of us.  This man has other challenges in
his life that few of us would ever dream of dealing with.  I'm
sure that he would choose a life of poverty if it meant that his
wife could live ONE DAY pain free.  I personally take offence to
those statements that bash this friend of mine.  I know he
doesn't seek defenders, but I'll go out on a limb for this man.
When my wife was battling cancer, Tom was an incredible
encouragement to me.  You insult him, you insult me.  Got it,
Bubba?

This list has always veered off into OT subjects.  Once in a
while an OM or Zuiko topic will come up, but if that's all you
want, you might as well download the stinkin FAQ into your
computer and reread that every day, because this list will
digress into a mode of "HEY MORON, READ THE FAQ" type of
reponses to every question.  "Does my Zuiko 50/1.2 contain
radioactive glass?"  "HEY MORON, READ THE FAQ."  "My MD-2
doesn't work any more, any ideas of what went wrong?"  "HEY
MORON, READ THE FAQ."

If that's what you want, forget it, I'm outa here.  This list
has an unique culture that developed many years ago.  It had it
before I even joined (1995-96?), and I'm the king of OT.

I'm in desparate need of this vacation.  I'm signing off the
list for the next week or so.  I trust that the present state of
snippiness dies down.  If not, well, you may never find out what
happened to Vert.

AG-(have new tom clancy novel, will travel)-Schnozz