Re: [OM] Manfrotto 293 Blues

Subject: Re: [OM] Manfrotto 293 Blues
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:09:03 +1200
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote

> Hi all,
>
> How can anyone mount an OM + Winder2 + 200/4 to a Manfrotto 293 Telephoto
> Lens Support [Bogen Manfrotto 3420]

Yes I can

> This morning I found:
> 1- fixing screw is too long for winder's female screw (this can be worked
> out)

Not in mine, but you could file some off and do no damage to the system

> 2- Body + winder are too tall, therefore lens is about 2 cm. higher than
> front support piece. In other words, the piece which would support the lens is
> too short. The 85~250 flies over it.

My 293 has a clamping pivot at the cast-iron base. Loosen the knurled knob
and you will find that the front support can be angled up to meet the front of
the lens and support it. Of course you tighten the knob after angling it up.

3- **Telephoto lens support at minimum
> length is longer than the Body + 200/4. The flat synthetic strip can fix the
> 200/4 by its hood, not by its body.**

Not on mine. I have a winder 1 on my OM2 but the dimensions are the same
as for the winder 2 I think. When the front Y support is angled up, it touches
the lens on the main body zone (yes there is lens hood there too, due to the
construction of the lens). Only "just" but it DOES support the lens just
behind the filter ring (if you use one). Supporting the lens here is where it
will
provide the greatest benefit.

Of course before the support is angled up it will appear to be too long, but
after the movement, it is just right.

> 3 is most important issue, can't figure out how to improve this.
> How was this managed previously? I mean published results showing
> improvement using a lens support.

Yes I bought mine because of these published results too - Gary Reese
pages?

> Was this 293 designed for use on wunderbricks only? :((
> And I love italian design...
>
> Fernando.

Hope that helps

Brian