Re: [OM] Haze on back face of front element was: Best way to see dust in

Subject: Re: [OM] Haze on back face of front element was: Best way to see dust in a lens?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:53:54 -0300
Hi list,

> "Lenses is for looking through, not looking at!"
Ken, if my eyeglasses are dirty, specially fingerprints but also dust, I do
notice the situation :) then I look at them and exclaim: ".hit I must clean
them again!!"

After reading this thread, I was looking at my 200/4 old friend (just
married to the 2X-A) to see how much dust has collected. Not too much
really; but I was surprised to discover that if I illuminated his front
element using a dichroic lamp and beaming tangentially, glass looked hazy.
At first I couldn't realise if it was his front or back face, so I cleaned
carefully with Kodak lens cleaning fluid and Kodak lens cleaning paper, the
haze remained. Then inspected with a magnifier and found back face had more
haze than front. It's difficult to tell if front face is now completely haze
free, but surely no more Kodak cleaning kit will be applied.
I must insist that this is noticeable if I illuminate the front element
tangentially only.
It seems easy to have it cleaned, but ¿should I?. What the hell is this
haze? Purple haze... (quoting J.H.)?? no, it's rather whitish... coating
getting deteriorated...??
Advice welcome, please consider that I was planning a great future for him,
now he doesn't feel so lonely and can couple both with the 2XA and the
65~116 !! Maybe they have children and I become zuikograndfather :)

Rgds,

Fernando.