Re: [OM] XA ????

Subject: Re: [OM] XA ????
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:21:47 +1000
More here -
http://www.cameraquest.com/xa4.htm

Yes.This came up a bit ago and folks posted links to XA sites, but I don't remember them. The eSIF says:

"The XA was another amazing Maitani design. Without its auxiliary A11 or A16 flash it's not much bigger than a typical modern non-zoom P&S camera, although maybe a bit heavier (225g.). Yet it features a fast 35mm/F2.8 lens, rangefinder and aperture-preferred AE, with indication of shutter speed! No 'brain dead program shooting at F9 or slower' here... The clamp shell cover of the XA models made it possible to carry them in a pocket or purse without further protection. The XA-1, -2, -3 and -4 didn't have a rangefinder or aperture preferred AE, but zone focusing lens and program exposure instead, and a slower (F3.5) lens. Some of them were available in 'poppy' colours.
The XA-4 Macro had a 28mm/F3.5 lens that could focus at 30cm."

I'd temporarily forgotten the other reason I don't consider the 'numbered' versions suitable. They have program exposure only, whereas the original XA allows choice of various combos of aperture and speed. With the built in backlight compensation lever and manipulation of film speed setting, you can really do a lot with the camera.

Moose