Re: [OM] new to the group

Subject: Re: [OM] new to the group
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:51:52 -0700
Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

Asking this list for concensus is futile -- we're a way too diverse
crowd.

And just to prove that point..........

However there seems to be an agreement that the 50/1.8, especially in
later versions, are really excellent.

The very early ones are quite soft. They are so cheap that there is really no reason to consider anything earlier than the 'MC' version and I would be patient and get a 'miJ' version because of the sticky aperture problem with so many 'MC' ones. Anybody needs a very nice 'miJ', I've got one for $20.

From among what you have, I'd say that the 50/1.4 is nice, but
possibly a tad soft, whereas the 28/2.8 is an absolutely excellent
lens, which is being sold waaay "too cheap" for its quality. That
said, I love my 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 equally, and it's just a matter of
getting to know the lenses and use them where they are really good :)

My latest version 50/1.4 can hardly be called a tad soft except perhaps at f1.4.

Also, are the 50mm 1.4s with serial # over 1,100,000 really better (that is, no
yellowing?)

I think you misread the post. Carlos first spoke about the later, multi-coated versions, then said about an earlier, SC version "On the other hand, I've been very impressed by a non-yellowing silvernose 50/1.4." Only the very early SC f1.4s yellow with age. Anything over say serial #200,000 (others will know more exactly) should be safe from that standpoint.