[OM] ( OM ) Lens focus shift in cold conditions

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Lens focus shift in cold conditions
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:33:50 +1200
Hi all,

This morning (ie 3½ hours ago) I excelled myself and got myself into a good
spot to photograph pre-dawn, sunrise etc over a beach and the sea.

It turned out to be an unremarkable dawning, though as always, nice to see
another day.

However, it is mid-winter here, and as the sunrise got closer, of course
everything got even colder. A slight frost got harder and my fingers felt as
though they were in a deep-freezer chest.

To photograph the horizon and distant clouds I just turned the focus to
infinity, thinking that on this lens (Zuiko 35-70 f/3.6) which is set to stop at
infinity, that would be OK.

A little later I turned the setup a little on the tripod and focused on the far
end
of a pier. This has clean edges to focus on. To my surprise I found that to get
sharp focus at this distance which really is close to infinity, I had to set the
focus mark half-way between the 10m mark and infinity.  So it's not just quite
longer lenses that suffer significant focus shift in cold conditions.

Now, I could see this because I was using an SLR.

People using a rangefinder, or a scale focussing camera like the Voigtlander
L, would have out-of-focus shots under these conditions and never know until
the shots were processed, and they might never know the reason why.

Brian