Re: [OM] 10D vs Velvia & 4000ED vs microscope

Subject: Re: [OM] 10D vs Velvia & 4000ED vs microscope
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:55:23 -0700
Great examples C.H.  There's been a number of Medium Format scanner
people speculating that scanners won't improve much. Your pictures show
why.

There may still be some use for drum scans. They can probably handle a
higher density range. The Imacon used by luminous landscape has been
criticized for not handling the density range. I believe somewhere on
his web site he had some example pictures which did show a Tango(?) drum
scanner could do better than either his Imacon or the other film scanner
he used. The resolution wasn't as big of a difference as lost contrast.
I think the areas where the contrast was lost were neither extremely
dark nor light. Perhaps tweaking the scanner settings could have yielded
comparable results. He probably tried pretty hard to get the Imacon to
give as good of a scan though.

-jeff