Re: [OM] WTT: My long one for your short one

Subject: Re: [OM] WTT: My long one for your short one
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:08:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/2003 12:57:15 AM Central Standard Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Get a 17/3.5 Tamron and live happily ever after.  Keep one 300
> Zuiko, and for sure keep the 400.  There are things you can do
> with them you can't do with the big 300/2.8 and 400/4 Tamrons.  I
> love my Tamrons, but I'm keeping my Zuikos.

I think I have just struck a deal for a 16mm not involving a trade.  You are
right the Tamron 17mm f3.5 is a fine lens and mine got sold earlier in the
year at a camera show and my intention was to either replace it with another or
buy the Zuiko 16mm.  I borrowed a 16mm from a list member and did some
comparison shots with the 16mm Zuiko, Tamron 17mm and 18mm Zuiko of the same
subject
(my living room).  My unscientific conclusion was they are each fine lenses
with somewhat different coverage angles.  Yes, I know the difference is that of
100 degrees vs 180 degrees, however in your living room the apparent difference
is not very great.

There is a temptation to keep one of the 300s, however I probably won't when
I find two folks who want to adopt one.  Most of my long lens work (in fact
much of everything I do) is done from a tripod and one that will handle the big
glass Tamrons.  When I go out without the long & heavy Tamrons, I will often
carry with me the Tamron 180mm f2.5 and a 2X converter, which I find works well
for the kinds of things for which I would want to use the 300mm Zuiko.

The 400mm and 300mm Zuikos remain for sale.  One of the 300mms and the 400mm
have had recent CLA.   Bill Barber