[OM] The variety of XA's...

Subject: [OM] The variety of XA's...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:48:24 -0500
It would seem that the sample variation in XA's is, ahem, rather larger than
in OM's. Lama has one that should, apparently, receive a decent burial.
Moose  has one that should be immortalized in word and music.  Mine is on
the Moose side of things, but not quite up to my 35-70/3.6, except in the
lack of contrast department.

I have mentioned many times my travel plan: whatever other camera I take,
the XA is ALWAYS loaded with Tri-x, and in my pants pocket. I've blown up
negs to 11x14 on occasion, with decent results. Not an OM with a good 35,
mind you, but good. For sharpness, the results would stand up alongside the
street photos of C-B and other Leica screw mount folks, not critical, but
acceptable. The vignetting is negligible. The shutter release is fairly easy
to adapt to.

Would I like a brighter finder? You bet! ASA 1600? Absolutely. The ability
to attach a yellow filter? Of course. But as a real pocket camera, it is
hard to beat!

Certainly, the stylus Epic is a good camera, but it can't hold up to the XA
for being rugged.

Lama should get another to try before he gives up on the breed, and Moose
should guard his carefully.

Bill Pearce