Re: [OM] Lenses with sticky apertures

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses with sticky apertures
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:44:10 -0500
It's not uncommon for lubrication from the helicoid (the concentric barrels
threaded together that provide the in-and-out movement for focusing) to migrate
into the aperture blades and mechanism.  When that happens it usually requires a
complete disassembly and thorough cleaning of all related parts for a reliable
repair, though on some lenses you may get by with what we call "flush cleaning"
-- that means the lens elements are removed, or the portion of the barrel with
the aperture is removed but left in place, and solvent is "flushed" through the
mechanism until it works once again.  This latter process is of somewhat
questionable reliability, depending on the particular lens -- sometimes, on some
lenses, it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all, and sometimes it works
for a while only to become sluggish once again at a later date (usually just
past the warranty for the work, of course!).  Whether this particular lens is
worth the investment or not depends on those factors.  Try to find someone
experienced with that particular lens to get an estimate -- that can make all
the difference.