[OM] ( OM ) antics on oBoy

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) antics on oBoy
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:19:07 +1200
Hi everybody,

Well, I've come to learn that the few shenanigans that we have seen with
Emanuelle, and recently with the would-be seller of a great white Zuiko, are
really not very high on the scale of bad behaviour on oBoy.

During the last couple of weeks, I've been paying attention to a certain model
of camera that uses electrons instead of film, having heard great news of its
potential from a List member. Not that I will be able to afford one for 6 - 9
months or more, unless one falls into my Fang-like grip. But there's nothing
like a few minutes a day spend searching and putting in low bids to keep
one's hand in, watching,  and getting a feel for the market.

Well, has it been an education. OM & Zuiko owners, even naughty ones, are
almost tame compared to this lot.

For every bid I have placed, I get about 4 e-mails from unconnected "oBoy
members" who offer me one of those cameras at a very good price (or so
they say - I don't necessarily agree), privately. They've seen my interest.
They seem to be mostly European, but some from USA.

About 200f these cameras put up for auction are delisted 2 days before
the end of auction.

>From the bid progress I've seen, I suspect widespread shill bidding. Have no
proof of course, but the progress of the bids can be very rapid and not at all
like what I've seen in Zuiko areas. Often the multiple repeat bidders are
newbies.

oBoy have mailed me about one "seller" whose account they have
suspended and therefore the body I was bidding on was withdrawn.

So It's all good fun - for the present. If I start looking in real earnest it
won't
seem so funny though.

Brian