Re: Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:06:26 -0500
At 12:07 AM 7/4/03, Wayne Harridge wondered:
> John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Next time you shoot a roll of 35mm chrome, keep the black leader that
> was exposed to light when you loaded the film.  It always gets
> returned with the slides.  Might require a few rolls to get a hunk
> big enough.

Any idea what this is equivalent to in filters (e.g. R72, 88, 89,...) ?

It's dark; very dark! Not the deep red of the IR slave trigger flashes I've seen though (I have one of those too). The slight glow through the chrome film chips I've used looks more brown/black or possibly blue/black (mostly Kodachrome). Best I can describe it and have absolutely no idea what the equivalent Wratten number is for them.

If you have these filters . . . or access to them . . . you could perform an experiment switching between a chip of chrome film and the various filters in front of the flash to see which filter has a glow in intensity and color closest to the chip of film. I hesitate to say this, but the deep red ones (e.g. R72 ??) are probably the least likely to match, based solely on my very uncalibrated eyeball and the colors it perceives glowing through the film chip.

-- John