Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:28:42 -0500
At 10:12 PM 7/3/03, you wrote:
I think missed part of this thread. Where can I find IR filter material?
Thanks,
Mickey

It's free!  Well, almost free.

Next time you shoot a roll of 35mm chrome, keep the black leader that was exposed to light when you loaded the film. It always gets returned with the slides. Might require a few rolls to get a hunk big enough.

Transparency film transmits very nearly 100% IR after it's been developed regardless of how much visible light it does or does not transmit. Why? It would fry in a slide projector if it didn't (my old Rollei P11 Dual has a 500 Watt bulb).

The xenon discharge tubes used in electronic flashes put out a fair amount of IR. How much and how far down into the IR region I don't know. I'm admittedly a "gear head" but not that much of one to have researched it as I don't use IR film [yet].

Cover the front of a flash unit with the hunk of completely exposed (and developed) slide film leader and Bob's Your Uncle, you have an IR flash. What its GN is in the IR region I have no idea.

Optical slaves are very sensitive to IR, just as they are to visible light. I simply use a low powered one, set at its lowest power setting, to trigger optical slaves on monolights in my "makeshift" studio at home. As I posted before, doesn't work worth a tinker's dam on-location at a wedding in a cavernous church, but is completely reliable in a more confined one such as a studio. That's why I referred to it as an old studio trick. An old grizzled geezer who's been around since before flash bulbs were invented passed it on to me a number of years ago . . . lest it become part of the lost craft.

-- John