Re: [OM] More E-1 info

Subject: Re: [OM] More E-1 info
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:47:06 -0700
A lot of AF lenses have ROM's in them, to tell the camera what lens is on,
what the capabilities are etc... I think the E1 lenses are supposed to be
able to report on their abberation/distortion pattern, for correction in
software in the camera. Sounds like Olympus uses flash memory instead of
one-time programmable chips for this info.

A neat concept -- instead of designing a lens like the 18/3.5 to render
straight lines straight, just tell the camera how much to unbend the optical
image before saving it. Make that adjustable and you have a 'fisheye zoom'
of variable warping...

Note that the Panotools program can do this kind of warping/antiwarping now,
for those who can figure out how to master its interface.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...